Innovative Solutions to Disability through Technology
In a world that relies on technology, Goodwill leads the way in changing lives using the latest ‘assistive technology’ via ATEC — our Assistive Technology Exchange Center.
At ATEC, we assist children and adults with disabilities to reach their maximum potential via specialized services and equipment. In human terms, it’s the voice for a little girl who’s never been able to speak. Or the hands for a young man who has lost his ability to write. Even the balance and coordination for a young woman injured in a car accident.
We help by:
- Developing strategies to enable each person to participate more fully in everyday life
- Providing evaluations that result in technology recommendations, equipment set-up and training, technical assistance and consulting services
- Offering equipment loan and reuse, and support to people who are learning how to use assistive technology
- Enabling people who currently don’t have a way to express themselves by teaching them how to use voice and other communication technology tools
- Inspiring greater independence and joy by encouraging successful, ongoing use of assistive tools for speech, hearing, vision loss; physical, cognitive and neurological impairment; and other aids for daily living
With the help of Goodwill’s Assistive Technology Exchange Center, Dalton has made huge improvements in his ability to learn and connect with people. His focus and confidence are off the charts.
Helping individuals lead more fulfilling lives
Over the past 10 years Goodwill has helped thousands of children and adults with disabilities improve their daily lives through ATEC. And that number is growing.
In 2009 alone we helped over 340 people. People with few options, whose well-being matters. People like Jorge. See for yourself how technology helped him tap the sentence, “I completed last night’s homework” — and then went on to graduate from high school.
Their personal achievement and success matter deeply to us. It’s central to our mission of helping individuals lead more fulfilling lives.
And we know we can grow on this kind of success — with your help.
Take a look at Goodwill of Orange County’s ATEC site (www.atec-oc.org). And it’s okay to be moved by what you see. We certainly are. As always, the more help we receive from the community, the more we can give in return.
ATEC services can be provided at home, school, or work environment. Or better yet, here at Goodwill of Orange County’s new 7,000 square-foot ATEC Fitness and Technology Center in Santa Ana.
Call us: 714.361.6200 or via email
Assistive Technology Exchange Center (ATEC)
1601 East St. Andrew Place
Santa Ana, CA 92705